Progress:

I've discovered that athlon64 is a valid gcc make flag, so I changed it back.

I've also discovered that the /etc/make.profile symlink was pointing at the
x86 default-linux profile set, not the amd64 profile.

I'm attempting a recompile now with the symlink changed, and hopefully this
will fix my problems.  I wonder if this latent error is not about to cost me
a whole bunch more though.  Is there anything I should do with the emerge
command or any other command in order to correct this profile problem?

Thanks

Jeff