Daniel Troeder wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2008, 03:15 -0600 schrieb Dale:
>
>> Daniel Troeder wrote:

>>> With "transfer" do you mean over a network, or to another local drive?
>>>
>>> You can of course use something like
>>> # tar czpf - | ssh remote - tar xzpf -C /dir
>>> (above probably not syntactically correct), but there are faster and
>>> easier options:
>>>
>>> "cp -a" costs little resources locally and maintains POSIX permissions,
>>> while "rsync -aASH --numeric-ids" is perfect for remote copy.
>>>
>>> You can use rsync also locally. It will (with the "-A" switch) also
>>> transfer POSIX-ACLs, if that is of any concern. It is also useful, if a
>>> transfer breaks at some moment, because it will kind of continue it :)
>>>
>>> Omiting the "-v" switch can significantly speed up things - depends on
>>> your terminal. In every case it helps to only see the errors, and not
>>> let them scroll away by everything that went well.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Daniel
>>>

>> The drive is in the same machine so there is no network involved.
>> Should help make it a little more simple.  Would this work?
>>
>> tar czpf - | tar xzpf -C /dir
>>
>> Basically, I want as clean a file system as I can get to start off with
>> at least.  Goal is very little fragmentation.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dale
>>
> While this will work perfectly well, this command is a waste of
> resources. The compression ("-z") makes locally no sense, and there is
> no need to tar the data (which will basically just concat files). You
> will get the exact same result with
> # cp -a /source /dest
>
> If the FS has been formatted before, no fragmentation should occur in
> every scenario, as long as no parallelism is used while copying, because
> each file will be created and filled with data one after another.
>
> Bye,
> Daniel

Cool.  Then I can just use cp -a and let her rip.  I plan to redo my
partitions so I will have to reformat the partitions too.  I guess this
will be as good as it gets.  I'll also report the results of fragck when
I get this done.  Just curious myself.  I think I will skip shake this
time tho.  ;-)

Thanks much.

Dale

:-)  :-)