On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> In KDE 3.5.10, I can't switch keyboard layouts with Alt+Shift even
> though that option is enabled in the control center:
>
>    Regional & Accessibility->Keyboard Layout
>    ->Xkb Option->Layout Switching->[x] Alt+Shift change layout.
>
> The generated "Command" is:
>
>    setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle
>
> It works fine in KDE 4.1.3.  It even generates the same "Command".
> Furthermore, loading the KDE 4 keyboard layout applet in KDE 3 works and
> I can switch with Alt+Shift.  The KDE 3 one doesn't.  What am I missing?

I can't directly answer the KDE related question, but I do it like this in
my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it works fine either in Fluxbox, or in KDE (with
Fbx as the WM):

Section "InputDevice"
   Option      "XkbLayout" "gb,de"
   Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:menu"

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick