Willie Wong wrote:
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 02:18:27AM +0200, Penguin Lover Nikos Chantziaras
squawked:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
  kde-base/kate
  kde-base/kdebase-startkde
  kde-base/ksmserver
These were dependencies and therefore were not in my world file. If they get unmerge, things will break. KDevelop will break without Kate, and KDE 3.5 itself will break without the other two. :P
OK, now I'm really curious; turns out they are NOT dependencies :P I just checked with equery and nothing depends on them. Is that normal? I mean, startkde for example is crucial to even start KDE 3 and it's not a dependency?

Hum, that is bizarre. I just tried emerge -pvt kde-meta, and it shows
that kde-meta depends on kdebase-meta depends on kdebase-startkde
(all version 3.5.9)

Checking all the ebuilds currently in the tree (versions 3.5.9,
3.5.10, 4.1.2 and 4.1.3), shows that all versions of kdebase-meta
depend on their corresponding versions of kdebase-startkde (they all
contain the line
 >=kde-base/kdebase-startkde-${PV}:${SLOT}

which picks the right slot). So something is probably broken on your
system. Check the contents of the various ebuilds for the versions you
installed to see what's wrong.

I'm not using -meta packages. Many packages they pulled in was stuff I don't wanted (like PIM). I emerged KDE packages one-by-one and went with what got pulled in as dependencies.