Ian Lee <i...@leehouse.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

>> They are all present in /etc/runlevels.
>>
>> And again I see no reference to net.eth1 or hwclock
>>

> that udev rule starts any found network devices on your system net.sh
> is just a  wrapper to the net.* scripts in init.d, if you never use
> eth1 then remove net.eth1 from /etc/init.d.

Well that kind of sucks.  I don't use eth1 often but I do want it in
/etc/init.d.

I'm wondering how wise it is to have tools other than re-update and
/etc/conf.d dinking around with basic services.  It seems like starting
an unwanted ethernet device could even have serious security problems.

Having to remove it from /etc/init.d doesn't sound like a very good
solution either.