John covici wrote:

Also, if I want to roll back, say, /etc/init.d/fsck, I am not sure
which file to choose -- in the archive directory there is an
/etc/init.d directory which contains fsck and fsck.dist.  I would
imagine that fsck is my old one and fsck.dist is the new one -- now
what happens if this file is updated again?

No, that is not how it works. New files have the prefix "._" (as is also reported by dispatch-conf.)

".dist" is usually a file that is bundled with the upstream tarball. It usually serves as an example.

You cannot roll back if you choose to keep the new file with dispatch-conf and didn't backup the current one first.