Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> writes:

> I've apparently forgotten whatever little I may have know about
> setting up nfs from having used it long ago.

[...]

> After setting all nfs related kernel items and booting the kernel.
> Checking that mods appears to be installed and running.  Making sure
> portmapper is running.
>
> Then when I try to start nfs service if it fails.
>
> Producing these messages in syslogd:
> Jan [...] nfsd[29077]: nfssvc: Protocol not supported
> Jan [...' : RPC: failed to contact local rpcbind server (errno 5).

[...]

> kernel:
> # grep 'NFS\|RPC' .config
>
>   # CONFIG_AF_RXRPC is not set
>   CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
>   CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
>   CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
>   CONFIG_NFS_V4=y
>   CONFIG_NFSD=m
>   CONFIG_NFSD_V2_ACL=y
>   CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
>   CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL=y
>   CONFIG_NFSD_V4=y
>   CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=m
>   CONFIG_NFS_COMMON=y
>   CONFIG_SUNRPC=m
>   CONFIG_SUNRPC_GSS=m
>   CONFIG_SUNRPC_REGISTER_V4=y
>   CONFIG_RPCSEC_GSS_KRB5=m
>   # CONFIG_RPCSEC_GSS_SPKM3 is not set

[...]

Answering my own question for the sake of any searches for nfs here

It appears I've compiled too many versions of rpc stuff, and maybe nfs
too.  Anyway commenting out all reference in the above list to version
4 of either nfs or rpc items... recompile reboot.
nfs starts nicely as expected.