On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 10:25 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Mike Kazantsev
> <mike_kazant...@fraggod.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:52:05 +0200
> > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> read the man page.
> >>
> >> Especially the bit about bdeps - these are usually not included
> >> in 'emerge -uND world' but will be included when you use -e
> >
> > I'd also suggest checking out the @installed set.
>
> Thanks, I haven't tried that before... emerge -up @installed gives me
> quite a surprising result:
>
> Total: 290 packages (9 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 122 new, 157 in new
> slots), Size of downloads: 190,301 kB
> Conflict: 3 blocks (3 unsatisfied)
>
> It seems to want to install all of KDE4 (which I'm not using... not
> sure why that is?), aside from that, though, there are a handful of
> non-KDE packages that do show up for upgrades/downgrades.

My guess is that you are using KDE3?  If that's the case then what
'emerge -up @installed' *is likely* doing is:

for each package in @installed:
    emerge -u package

So, e.g. if you have kopete-3 installed then it will want to upgrade to
kopeted-4.  It's doing what you tell it to, though not exactly what you
expected.  The "handful of non-KDE packages" is are likely dependencies
(whether build-time or run-time) of said packages.

I myself don't see any reason to use "-u @installed".  For example on my
system it wants to upgrade musicbrainz to 3.0.2, but musicbrainz is not
in my world file and I don't have anything that depends on 3.0.2 (only
2.1.*) so it's an unnecessary upgrade.  My guess is that a subsequent
--depclean will unmerge it anyway.

-a