On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 06:58:08PM +0000, John wrote:
>       Whenever I logout my machine crashes to a black screen and is
>       unresponsive. I cannot get into any terminals and have to
>       reboot. It is a problem with my nvidia-drivers - have
>       uninstalled nvidia-drivers and used X11 "nv" drivers and all
>       works fine.
>       Tried various login managers and still the same issue. Use xfce.
>       Machine shuts down ok but only happens when I logout and wish
>       to change user.
>
>       Any help would be appreciated

Anything in Xorg logs? System logs?

How hard is the lock-up? Is it just the terminal (can you ssh into the
machine? does it respond to pings?)? Is it a kernel thing?

What about other (older) versions of nVidia drivers? Which card and
which driver are you using now?

Willie W. Wong                                      ww...@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall,  Department of Mathematics,  Princeton University,  Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.