On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 03:59:17PM -0600, Penguin Lover Harry Putnam squawked:
> Key `e' and `/' when pressed just do nothing whatever.  I think there
> way be a bell since I see a flash when ssh'd in from and Xterm in a X
> session on another machine.  I may not have sound enabled... not sure
> right now.
>
> Those two appear to be the only keys effected.  Upper case E works
> fine and the uppercase char (?) above `/' works fine.
>
> If I press Ctrl-v and then the `e' if works... ditto for `/'.

Sounds to me like a problem with readline. Is your /etc/inputrc or
~/.inputrc per chance corrupted?

You can try re-installing readline and/or baselayout (baselayout
is responsible for /etc/inputrc).

Hope that helps,

"Do you all understand? At this point I'll settle for quiet acquiescence."
~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 768 days, 21:22