On 17 Jan 2009, at 13:23, Jean-Baptiste Mestelan wrote:
Now, I am unsure whether this is a feature, but:
when I tab-complete 'cd ' followed  an environment variable, bash
insists on escaping this variable.

ex: cd $<TAB> -> cd \$
Which means I end up typing for example
# cd \$DOC
and this is not resolved right.

If the variable path is not preceded by 'cd ' , bash completes it OK,
without escaping them.

A system here does the same thing, another across town behaves "correctly".

(I don't actually have $DOC set on either, but `cd /` and then use autocomplete to `cd $HOME`, which is set.)

I don't know much about this, but I wonder if it may be related to some of Gentoo's 3rd-party Bash-completion features?

WORKING SYSTEM:

$ eselect bashcomp list
Available completions:
  [1]   eselect
  [2]   genlop *
  [3]   vim
  [4]   xxd
$

NON-WORKING SYSTEM:

$ eselect bashcomp list
Available completions:
  [1]   bash-completion-config
  [2]   bitkeeper
  [3]   bittorrent
  [4]   cksfv
  [5]   clisp
  [6]   dsniff
  [7]   freeciv
  [8]   gcl
  [9]   gentoo *
  [10]  gkrellm
  [11]  gnatmake
  [12]  harbour
  [13]  hg
  [14]  isql
  [15]  larch
  [16]  lilypond
  [17]  lisp
  [18]  mailman
  [19]  mcrypt
  [20]  modules
  [21]  mtx
  [22]  p4
  [23]  povray
  [24]  ri
  [25]  sbcl
  [26]  sitecopy
  [27]  snownews
  [28]  svk
  [29]  unace *
  [30]  unrar *
$

You might also check bash-completion USE flags.

Stroller.