On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 09:13:44 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I'm in the process of rsyncing an OS to a remote file system.
>
> when rsyncing /sys to remote /sys... I get piles of errors

/sys is a virtual filesystem, like /dev and /proc. Even if you do succeed
on copying the contents,you'll only waste space on the root partition of
the new machine and the virtual filesystems will get mounted over
them. On my desktop, one file in /proc is more that ten times the size of
the root filesystem!

Use the -x option with rsync to prevent copying these.

--
Neil Bothwick

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.