On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Christopher Walters
<cjw20...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I'm not used to seeing all the additional messages below the
>> blockage indication. Can someone possibly help me understand how to
>> read this?
>>
>>    Are there really application packages that cannot be installed at
>> the same or is only about qt and possibly the USE flags I've got?
>>
>>    I tried removing qjackctl (the only world package I spotted in the
>> list) but that didn't help.
>>
>>    What to try next?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
> <snip>
>>   ('installed', '/', 'x11-libs/qt-4.3.3', 'nomerge') pulled in by
>>     >=x11-libs/qt-4.3:4 required by ('installed', '/',
>> 'app-text/poppler-bindings-0.8.7', 'nomerge')
>
> <snip>
>
>> !!! The following installed packages are masked:
>> - x11-libs/qt-4.3.3 (masked by: package.mask)
>> /usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/package.mask:
>> # Markus Meier <mae...@gentoo.org> (18 Jan 2009)
>> # mask this version for a smooth upgrade wrt bug #248038
>
> First, I would suggest checking to see if you have qt-4.3.3 installed (from
> the
> line above, this looks to be the case), and if so, unmerge it - it is masked
> by
> portage, anyway.  If you do have the older version on your system, it would
> block the new version and vice versa.
>
> If that works, then great.  If not, you may need to put at least
> 'app-text/poppler-bindings' in your package.keywords file, so you can pull in
> newer version.
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>
> PS:  Looking at the ebuild file for poppler-bindings might help.

Chris,
   Indeed, I do have 4.3.3 installed and it is masked. I guess this
must be one of those cases where the devs decided they didn't like
something they used to like as I didn't do anything to unmask it
myself.

   I removed it and the blockages for emerge system have gone.

Cheers,
Mark