I'm running a Dell D600, and I've located a number of tools for it but I am not
seeing anything related to when I close the lid. Since I got Gentoo running on
it, the Monitor continues running when I close the lid.

I've found several sources for doing something as an ACPI event, which seems to
be the right method. I can toggle the button with the lid open and cat
/etc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state and see it change between 'open' and 'closed';
and I know I could write myself a little script do something like calling
radeontool to turn off the backlight, but I'd like to find a more official
method.

I mostly run KDE 3.5 (I'll go to KDE4 when I can...once portage 2.2 comes out
and all), but I didn't see anything for a 'turn off monitor on lid close'
setting (preferrably root controlled so that it affects all users). The only
thing I can find is a the standby/suspend/shutdown/logoff, system performance,
and CPU throttling. I don't really want to do any of that - just put the
monitor into stand-by, not necessarily the whole system.

Any how...I'd really like to get this working.

TIA,

Ben