On 2009-01-24, Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 24 January 2009 15:35:32 Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> I didn't have a spare primary parition to put the swap file
>> on.  I had a bunch of spare extended partitions but all the
>> docs say you can't put the XP swap file on en extended
>> paritition...
>
> Ah, I didn't know that. In Win98, I think it was, I used to
> put it on drive E, which was a logical disk in the extended
> partition.

I didn't actually try it, so maybe I was wrong -- but I swear I
read that somewhere (and it sounded like the sort of
restriction one would run into under Windows).

[some googling]

I can't find any confirmation for what I claimed about swap
files on logical paritions.  I must have mis-read something or
conflated it with the restriction that XP itself can't be
installed on a logical partition. :/

It looks like I could have created a small logical partition
for an NTFS filesystem in which I could have placed the swap
file.

I still can't believe that Windows does it's swapping using a
normal filesystem -- and by default it's the same filesystem
used for system and application files.  It seems like the
filesystem code would end up being a serious bottleneck. But I
long ago stopped trying to figure out why Windows does things...

--
Grant