On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Writing an ebuild is best, but sometimes you just want to give a
>>> program a try without writing an ebuild (like everyone else running
>>> Linux does) and a scruft script enables you to do that without making
>>> a mess of your system.
>>
>> Not to be picky, it's just an idea but in that case, isn't it way easier to
>> just ./configure --prefix=/some/dir/inside/yourhome or edit a makefile?
>
> I have to say I know nothing about compiling or installing outside of
> portage.  Does specifying a prefix like that work?  You get a fully
> functional program with nothing installed outside of some/dir?

Yes, it's the "normal way" for people that don't use package managers.
I almost always install into my home directory for programs that
aren't in portage (or make my own ebuild if it is a simple one). Or
depending on what program it is, create a user for it and run it under
that user account so it can't touch anything else.

Also, a lot of more simple programs don't even need to be installed.
Just untar it, configure it, make it and run it from the directory in
which the source resides.

Paul