Freakin awesome guys!

Thank you very much for your replies. This is what I got out of it:

1) Gentoo evolves. There are no major upgrades. This is a huge "go with
gentoo" point. I've never seen an operating system that didn't have
issues after a major upgrade. This means an updated system with gentoo,
all the time. No 'reinstall from scratch' every two years. Oh yeah, I've
got software that won't work after a major upgrade.

2) Gentoo requires attention. These are production servers I'm talking
about. What sysadmin doesn't check in their production servers on
regular basis? Yeah, I check in the the debian servers all the time.
That's on top of the automated emails I get reporting on the health of
the system. Ok, I don't have to do anything to them. So, I'll have to be
carefully before doing an update. I don't see that as too much to ask if
I don't have to reinstall from scratch!

Thanks guys!
Tom