>>> I don't think so. It should just be a driver/firmware update if you've
>>> got some device that supports WPA and not WPA2. The AES encryption of
>>> WPA2 requires a little more hardware power than WEP or WPA normally
>>> uses, but I don't think it needs any special chip or anything like
>>> that.
>>>
>>> You can also do VPN over your wifi connection, and require it for
>>> access to the rest of your network or the internet. At least then if
>>> someone hacks your wireless key, they still can't do anything without
>>> having your VPN certificate.
>>
>> Actually, VPN would rule out my wifi cell phone I bet.
>
> Maybe not -- I don't know what kind of phone you've got. I have a
> Nokia N95 which runs Symbian OS 9 and there are 3 VPN clients that I
> know of (and the first one is free):
>
> http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.com/mobile_vpn_downloads.php
> http://www.ncp-e.com/en/vpn-szenarien-produkte/vpn-produkte/secure-entry-client.html
> http://www.symvpn.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductId=17
>
> I believe Windows Mobile devices have VPN support built in, but I've
> never tried it. For iPhone or other phone OS i have no idea as I've
> never actually used them.
>
> Paul

It looks like those 3 do work on an N82, but at least the 3rd one can
only connect to Windows VPN servers currently.  VPN configuration on
any of them sounds like it can be a major hassle though.

Is there a way to get reliable info on how many systems are connected
to my wireless network?  I'm running a Gentoo router.

- Grant