On 2 Feb 2009, at 03:46, Dale wrote:
I think I tried this &/or genkernel & when I looked at /boot I found
they'd littered the place with clutter.

I hope you won't be offended, but the amount of junk files this added
made me want to barf.

I have avoided any such "complications" since, considering I don't
consider copying a file & editing grub.conf to be anything of a
complication myself.

I think I read somewhere that system.map file is no longer needed,
unless you want to set up things in a "odd" way.  Is that correct?

I've certainly never needed it, in several years since 2.4 kernels. But IIRC it is/was copied over when using these "automated kernel installation methods".

Stroller.