Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:14:34 +0100 (CET), Helmut Jarausch wrote:

nice -19 emerge -j4 --buildpgkonly kde-base/kde-meta

but it takes next to no time instead of hours and
hasn't build the binary packages without any error messages.
What am I missing?

--buildpkg only works if the dependent packages are installed, you cannot
build kmail-4.2 (for package or install) if kdelibs-4.2 is not installed.
That's a long way round of saying that you can't do what you want and
build all the KDE4 packages in advance.

To minimise downtime, even though it increases the overall install time,
you could upgrade you your KDE3 install to 3.5.10. Then you can install
KDE 4.x alongside it.

KDE 4.2 is slotted so I just built it as normal from within kde 4.1.4 while continuing to use the system. When the emerge finished, I continued in 4.1.4 for about an hour until I hit a stopping point, then dispatched-conf (no kde conf changes) logged out and chose 4.2 and logged back in (didn't even restart X). This was smoothest kde upgrade that I can recall, big kudos to the devs!

A few hours into using 4.2 and no glitches!  I'm actually able to use
plasmoids without 10 second UI freezes. Whoop! And that's on nvidia 8600GTS and ~x86. First impression is 4.2 is ready for prime time.

Have fun,
Roy