On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:29:01 -0800, Grant wrote:
>>
>>> Is portage supposed to pick up on this with 'emerge -avDuN world'?
>>
>> Not if these are build-time dependencies, in which case they'll only be
>> picked up when you use --with-bdeps y.
>>
>> This is becoming a VFAQ.
>>

>> --
>> Neil Bothwick
>
> When this was asked a few weeks ago someone then asked why
> --with-bdeps Y isn't the default? This seems to burn nearly everyone
> once in awhile.

When I asked a similar question, the whole bdeps thing was a red
herring. The cause in my case was ebuilds changing without having the
version increased. I guess portage uses the tree vs installed ebuild
cache depending on what you ask of it.

For example when I installed foo it did not have bar as a dep, so
--deep doesn't find it. However, the same version of foo that i have
installed now includes the dep for bar, so other commands/tools which
look at the ebuilds in the tree will see it like that (or re-emerging
foo). Maybe that's not how it works (I'm no portage expert, just a
average user).

Back to the OP's exact problem:

It looks like it wants to downgrade boost from 1.35.0-r1 down to 1.34.1.

1.35.0-r2 is testing (~arch) while 1.34.1-2 is stable. Did you
override arch when emerging?