In message <c1cfj-6j...@gated-at.bofh.it>, Grant Edwards wrote:

> Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's describe as a system
> similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source.
> The main benefit claimed for this approach is that you get
> better performance because all executables are optimized for
> exactly the right instruction set.
>
> Where did that bit of apocrypha come from, and why is it
> parroted by so many people?

It is not as apocryphal as you suggest!

About 9 years ago I had a couple of boxes based on AMD K6-3 processors. No
distributors built binaries for the K6 architecture; when I installed SuSE on
a K6 it always used base-model Pentium packages, which ensured that
instruction sets such as MMX and 3DNow! were never used. The machine ran like
a clogged drain.

When I installed Gentoo on those boxes, about 5 years ago, it was a
revelation. Everything was compiled for the K6-3 processor, thus using its
full instruction repertoire. Programs that took tens of seconds to respond
when installed from binary RPMs suddenly responded instantly.

So, your "apocrypha" are other people's "revealed truth". ... :-)

--
Regards

Dave  [RLU#314465]
dwn...@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)