On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Sebastián Magrí <sebasma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > It was very easy for me.  The first I came in tough with Gentoo was with
>> > the 2007 DVD.  I booted, double clicked the installer icon, clicked
>> > "next" a few times with checking some tickboxes too, and then emerged -e
>> > system and world and the packages I need.
>>
>> You should have been around in the days when stage1 was still supported.
>>
>> Now that was fun. For varying definitions of "fun" of course :-)
>>

> The installation experience with the traditional method must be
> mandatory... That's why I think we are better now that GLI is
> deprecated...

I think my first attempt to install Gentoo was a stage 1, several
years ago on a box with a network card not supported by the drivers on
the Live CD... and of course the distfiles CD did not have the current
versions since I was using a portage snapshot from that day. My
printed install guide didn't help because i couldn't google when
things didn't work the way it said they should work :) now that was a
fun experience :) I, of course, realized it was fruitless and went
stage2 instead... and did emerge -e world when it was all up & running
on the network. and the rest is history.

I don't think I've ever seen the graphical installer for gentoo. I
don't have a problem with a simple "click here to have a working
gentoo installation", I don't think installing an OS should be an
educational experience necessarily, sometimes if you already know how
Gentoo works you just want to get it over with. Of course if gentoo
stores certain configs in unique places compared to other distros, and
the whole portage system in general, having some early exposure could
make it easier once it's all up and running, but someone who can read
the manual should have no trouble either way. (assuming the installer
works)