Howdy,

Setting up a new system and want to do the simple grub setup where I have grub menu of:

* Current Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz)
* Previous Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz.old)
* Gentoo 2.6.28-r1 (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1)

Then when I rebuild the kernel I can use the following command:

$ make && make modules_install && make install

The make install should handle moving /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz.old and copying the current image to /boot/vmlinuz.

I found what I think is the instructions I used before:

  http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Kernel/Installing

which basically say to emerge debianutils

The problem I'm seeing is that "make install" is including the version number in the vmlinuz filenames:

# ls -1 /boot
System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
boot
config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
grub
vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old

Any ideas or better instructions for getting the versionless vmlinuz files?

TIA,
Roy