Harry Putnam wrote:
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinri...@online.de> writes:

Am Freitag, 6. Februar 2009 22:27:12 schrieb Sebastian Günther:

Did you ever read anything the Windows Installer
What the heck is a "Windows Installer"?

*SCNR*

Thirty five reboots and several hours

Sorry, can't resist as I am currently setting up another gentoo box. A few reboots are kind of expected during a normal gentoo install.

1) after following directions need to reboot into your new system.
2) after updating gcc to the latest and recompiling the system.
3) after finding stupid oversight in fstab (replace ROOT,BOOT,SWAP with real devices - embarrassed that I missed that one)
4) while installing X and find that kernel has nvidia FB enabled.
5) while installing kde-meta and find that kernel doesn't have HWMON enabled.

Admittedly #3 was oversight and the last two are optional but serve as an example that you probably will not get your kernel config right the first time.

As for the hours to set up, if you include compile time for X and KDE, several hours starts to look really optimistic for a BE-2400, even when using distcc to a OC (3GHz) Q9300. LEt's face it, it's a two day job to install gentoo desktop.

The time savings come later, like trying to get HD Audio over HDMI (at least that's my hope). Using this real world example, I originally tried kubuntu 8.10 but that didn't have alsa 0.18 (it had 0.17 while gentoo ~x86 has 0.19), so had to use two different package management systems (dpkg and apt) to get their toolchain installed, then used a third package to try to build alsa, which naturally failed. Instead of trying to hack around with their inconsistent system, I said time for gentoo...

Have fun,
Roy