On Monday 09 February 2009 18:51:24 Stroller wrote:

> >> Ah! Many thanks. I will live without this shortcut, then, I think.
> >
> > If you, like me, prefere to compile your own kernel, there's still an
> > easy way to create a initrd for your kernel: with genkernel
> > I use this command to compile my pre-configured kernel
> >
> > genkernel --no-clean --no-mrproper \
> >    --makeopts=-j2 --loglevel=5 --install --symlink all
> >
> > To include support for disk labels use the switch --disklabel
>
> I am resistant to the idea of using an initrd, because IIRC it's an
> extra file that has to be stored in /boot, creating extra "clutter" in
> there.
>
> I'm kinda thinking that using the label prevents failed boots in the
> event that the drives are recognised in a different order in the
> future, but nevertheless I don't "like" initrd and the longer kernel
> lines in grub.conf that they require.
>
> I appreciate this is somewhat irrational.

Not really.

initrds are there for two cases, and only two cases: 1) a generic boot process
for precompiled binary distros where the maintainers has no idea what the
user has and must support all combinations for all possible users. 2) Boot
scenarios where you require access to the root device before you have access
to the root device (/ on lvm, boot off some raid setups, etc)

The first does not apply to gentoo at all. If you don't have the second,
initrd is just extra unnecessary clutter and complexity and you are quite
correct to resist it's presence.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com