Chris Lieb wrote:
Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 10:57:58 -0600, Chris Lieb wrote:

I don't want to do UnionFS since that requires me to patch the kernel,
which is more work than I have the time for.
cd /usr/src/linux
patch -p1 </path/to/patchfile

You must be *really* short of time ;-)

My concern is more about making my own ebuild (based off of
gentoo-sources) that will patch the kernel source for me so that I can
easily distribute this patched kernel source to all of my computers.  I
need the process to be easy so that whom ever succeeds me doesn't have
to learn much more than just running a couple of scripts that I wrote.
Even how, I catch enough crap from my boss already for spending so much
time tinkering with servers instead of programming :)

Is there a guide out there for rolling my own kernel ebuild?

Chris

Take a peek at aufs on the sunrise overlay. It has a section that patches the kernel, dependent on kernel version and USE flags. It looks like it just informs the user that the kernel was patched.

HTH,
Roy