Mick wrote:
On Monday 09 February 2009, James wrote:
Roy Wright <roy <at> wright.org> writes:

On my new install using 2.6.28-gentoo-r1, alsa kernel, sound as modules
(recommended),
[snip...]
* enable alsa in the kernel
* enable as modules device drivers/sound card support/...
[snip...]

I appreciate these steps and refs....

I'm good for now.

As was suggested above you may get better luck building the alsa drivers as modules. Although I had my sound card driver built in the kernel for the last 2-3 years, I had to revert to building it as a module to get it to work with kernel 2.6.27-gentoo-r6/8.

The main reason for building the sound drivers as modules is so that alsaconf can find and setup your sound card for you.