On Thu, February 12, 2009 1:34 pm, Zhang Jun wrote:
> thanks!
> I'm new to gentoo,
> I get the CFLAGS from gentoo-wiki(
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/AMD#Turion64_.2F_X2_.2F_Ultra
> )
> and I am using 32bit linux.
>
> 2009/2/12 Joost Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org>:
>> On Thu, February 12, 2009 12:52 pm, Zhang Jun wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> my laptop's cpu is AMD Turion64x2, I've installed both 32bits Debian
>>> testing and Gentoo on it,
>>> from Debian there is no SSE3 in /proc/cpuinfo,
>>> and I used CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe" on
>>> gentoo,  and I can not see SSE3 in cpuinfo also,
>>>
>>> I emerged x86info, and SSE3 is in its output:
>>>
>>> #x86info
>>> x86info v1.21.  Dave Jones 2001-2007
>>> Feedback to <da...@redhat.com>.
>>>
>>> Found 2 CPUs
>> <snipped output>
>>
>>> my question is:  I can not see SSE3 in cpuinfo because I did not use
>>> "-msse3" in CFLAGS ?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would suspect that for your CPU using "-march=athlon-fx" would be more
>> beneficial as your CPU has the x86_64 instruction set as well?
>>
>> --
>> Joost

Thank you for that link, I wasn't aware of it.
Please, for future reference, try to avoid top-posting, it makes following
conversations difficult.
Try to keep your replies at the bottom of the email.

According to that list, you need to add "-msse3" to your CFLAGS. Which
makes sense as "-march=athlon-xp" is actually for an older CPU which
didn't have sse3 support yet.

--
Joost