On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:20:28 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > You have more aggressive flags on the failing machine, have you tried
> > using the more conservative (less ricey) flags?

> I have not and intend to do that today. The flags have been set like
> this since 2003 so I'm surprised that it might be something like this
> but it's clearly possible.
>
> I'm unqualified to say what part of the differences is making this set
> more aggressive. Line by line what's your opinion?
>
> -O3 vs -O2 ?

Not much difference.

> -march=athlon-xp vs -march=i686

The former is better, providing you're using an AthlonXP.

> -funroll-loops

You only have to look at http://funroll-loops.org/ to know this is a bad
option...

> not using -fomit-frame-pointer

That's pretty safe, the frame-pointer isn't much use anyway if you're
compiling without debug symbols, which most build do by default.

> Strange taht after 6-years this would come up but stranger thing happen.

Indeed.

--
Neil Bothwick

Obscenity is the crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.