Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:17:07 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

I've no idea how it broke, but after an emerge --sync, a kernel (gentoo-sources) update was there. After I compiled the kernel, I did the usual "make modules_install && make install". I edited grub.conf only to the point of changing the booted kernel to the
new one (just a matter of changing -r1 to -r2 at the end of the kernel
filename).  I reboot, Grub stops working.  It just displays "GRUB" and
hangs there.

Could you have inadvertently made more of a change to grub.conf than
that? Grub is notoriously fragile when it comes to its config file?

No, the change was a simple change of 1 byte ("1" -> "2").

Why did you edit it in the first place? As you used make install,you will
have symlinks from vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old to the new and previous
kernels. Use these in GRUB and there's no need to edit anything.

That won't work for me because I keep two different kernels (one for vmware and one for native) and I sometimes rebuild one of them after reconfiguring. With that approach I would end up with the "Native" Grub entry trying to boot the vmware kernel.

One thing that could be at fault is that I had grub installed into hd0,2 (sda3) which is an ext4 partition. /boot is sda4 and is ext3. But I'm sure grub should work no matter where you install it. I can even install it on sda1 which is NTFS and it works. Hell, I can even install it on the swap partition.

I guess the reason it broke will remain a mystery :P