Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Montag 23 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm wanting to experiment a little with the new sets feature of
>> portage.  I have searched around the forums, even looked at gentoo wiki
>> and read a few man pages.  I can not find a good link to a how to for
>> sets.  I would like to have a couple things if someone has them.  1) a
>> link to a good how to.  2) could someone send me a copy of a sets file
>> for something like KDE or something.  Just something I can use for a
>> template if you would.
>>
>> Thanks much.  Oh, yea, I may be about to break something.  I got my
>> backups up to date tho.  o_O
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> put sets file in /etc/portage/sets
>
> example:
> cat /etc/portage/sets/qt-copy
> =x11-libs/qt-assistant-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-core-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-dbus-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-script-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-sql-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-svg-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-test-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.4.9999
> =x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.4.9999
>
> you are done. Really, there is no magic about sets. You put all the packet-
> atoms you want into a file, put the file into /etc/portage/sets and emerge
> @setname. That's it.
>
> Or look at this:
> cat /usr/local/portage/layman/kde-testing/sets/kde-4.2
> # We don't include kdesdk on the global set
> kde-base/kdelibs:4.2
> kde-base/kdepimlibs:4.2
> kde-base/kate:4.2
> kde-base/kdeplasma-addons:4.2
> kde-base/kde-l10n:4.2
>
> @kdeaccessibility-4.2
> @kdeadmin-4.2
> @kdeartwork-4.2
> @kdebase-4.2
> @kdeedu-4.2
> @kdegames-4.2
> @kdegraphics-4.2
> @kdemultimedia-4.2
> @kdenetwork-4.2
> @kdepim-4.2
> @kdetoys-4.2
> @kdeutils-4.2
>
> #for developers
> #...@kdebindings-4.2
> #...@kdesdk-4.2
> #...@kdewebdev-4.2
>
> so as you can see - a set can be create out of other sets.

Ahhh, so a specific version can be placed in there just like in the
world file.  Neato !!!

Lets say I have a set named dk-kde, with the prefix Allen suggested, and
I put kde-meta in that file.  Would that emerge all the KDE or just that
one package?  I emerged kde-meta to install KDE so that is all there is
in my world file right now.  I notice you have several kde packages in
your list.

I'm going to do some reading on the links already posted in a bit.
Getting ready to cook a roast.  Got to peal taters, wash carrots and
slice up a onion.

Thanks

Dale

:-)  :-)