Sebastian Günther wrote:
program() only takes 1 argument: the programname.
There aren't two arguments (no comma) - and, yes, the syntax is odd - but it is exactly what is given by the sshguard man page - and seems to be confirmed by the syslog-ng manual, too.
BTW: Just curious: you do not use the sshguard from portage, or why is it a /usr/local/sbin?
That was my error (a really dumb one!) I'd assumed that the binary from portage was running - whereas my process list showed /bin/sh failing to run a non-existent program.

I guess the man page could be improved for gentoo by giving an example using the default install location for sshguard - but that's a very minor issue.

I'd expected better error reporting by syslog-ng for a faulty configuration - ho-hum.