On Tuesday 24 March 2009 19:26:45 James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Confidence is high that I've mucked_up this upgrade to
> kde-4.2.1.
>
> I was content to leave the system at 3.5.9 and while
> I was messing around, I guess I triggered a kde 4.2.1 install
> (I had started the upgrade and decide to wait some weeks ago.)
>

> Long story short, I'm now running kde-4.2.1 [OK]
>
> I moved my world file to a backup so as to avoid all
> of those dependency issues. It worked pretty well.
> However, now I'm adding the packages back a few at a
> time and lots of stuff calls for kdelibs-3.5.9-r1.
>

> Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
> of kdelibs installed at the same time?
> My gut tells me NO?

Yes, you can. In fact, this is the whole point of SLOTs. The versions are kept
separate by putting them in different directories. KDE-3.5 stuff always goes
in /usr/kde/3.5 whereas KDE-4 can go in one of two places depending on the
setting of the kdeprefix USE flag:

with USE=kdeprefix              /usr/kde/4.x
with USE=-kdeprefix             /usr/

The apps don't get confused becuase when they are built and linked, the
relevant tools are instructed where the correct libs are. So, KDE-4 apps do
not get told to link against KDE-3.5 libraries. If they do, then it is a bug.

> What am I missing. Kde-4.2.1 is up and running.
> Although I have not extensively tested it, I can
> run konqueror and seamonkey and many other apps.
> just fine.

As it is supposed to.

> So what I think I need to do (again) is
>
> Mask kdelibs 3.5.x completely?

Not really necessary

> (syntax suggestions here for package.mask are welcome)
>
> emerge -C kde-3.5.9* (can I do this?)
> emerge --depclean -a
>
> and then watch closely what I emerge?

Honestly, the best way is to just not install stuff that needs kde-3.5
packages. I use KDE-4, but I still have kdelibs-3.5 installed - I have a few
3.5 apps that are not yet ported to 4 (like luma). Getting to this point can
happen in several ways, depending on how you installed kde-3.5 originally.

1. If you ran 'emerge kde' and have monolithic versions, get rid of them with
emerge -C (or just delete them out of your world file).

2. If you emerge the kde -meta ebuilds, then unmerge them (or delete them from
world)

3. If you installed a bunch of kde apps individually, then find them in world
and delete them.

Now run 'emerge -av --depclean' and closely inspect what portage wants to
nuke. With luck, it'll be a whole horde of 3.5 stuff, so let it rip when you
are happy with it. Then run 'emerge -pvuND world' and see if portage wants to
re-install anything from kde-3.5 (this is indeed highly likely...). Now use
your various portage tools (q, equery, etc) to find out why portage wants to
add 3.5 apps back in, and deal with that issue. One at a time. Rinse, repeat
in a recursive process till 3.5 is gone.

You don't really need to mask anything, unless you are a thick idiot who never
checks emerge output before giving the go-ahead. Previous posts from you
suggest that "thick idiot" is not an accurate description :-)

Avoiding having kde-3.5 stuff installed is exactly the same as avoiding having
firefox installed - don't emerge it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com