Florian Philipp schrieb:
> Hi list!
>
> A quick question:
>
> If i install Gentoo on a system with a kernel version 2.6.9 (don't ask
> ...), are there issues I should be aware of?
>
> Do I have to mask newer glibc-versions, newer kernel headers or some use
> flags? What about the nptl use flag?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Florian Philipp

Hi!

I just wanted to report back my experiences with this server:

So far everything is working :)

I could even create a basic shorewall setup. For this I needed to make
an empty /lib/modules/<kernel>/modules.dep file for the host's kernel.

OpenVPN works, too, but only over tun, not tap.

I'm using a 2008 profile, linux-headers-2.6.27-r2,
glibc-2.8_p20080602-r1 with no special use flags and baselayout-2.

I installed it using the stages here
http://bb.xnull.de/projects/gentoo/stages/
(there is a link to them in the official Gentoo OpenVZ Howto)
and the guide here
http://log.onthebrink.de/2008/04/gentoo-on-1-vserver.html

When anyone else wants to follow that guide, too: Don't forget to
unmount /repair/proc and /repair/dev manually or else your server will
completely stall when you try to finish repair mode (no ssh, no reboot,
you have to call Support).

Concerning the ancient kernel: I asked some other guys and everyone had
such an old kernel no matter who's their provider. Given that it is a
SuSE Enterprise Server, it is very good possible that they still get
maintenance (usually 5+ years, as far as I know).