Momesso Andrea a écrit :
On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 07:55:39PM +0400, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
On Monday 06 April 2009 19:50:02 Xav' wrote:
What i'm expecting from a new release is a new stage[1,2,3] tarballs with
updated software.
Actually, when i install Gentoo from a 2008.0 stage 3, there is many
updates to deal with, and many more when going under unstable tree...
A new release mean for me that the postinstall process to get an up-to-date
and running Gentoo is shorter than with ageing stages.
I know that i can build up-to-date stages from myself, but i'm thinking
about those people who wants to start with gentoo and face too early with
updating problems, that maybe can disappoint them to continue with gentoo.
Agree. New drivers for new hardware also can be needed to be able to boot after chrooting.

You are confusing profiles and livecd releases, that are different
things.

I'm not confusing profiles and livecd releases, and as i said before, i'm talking about gentoo releases, which i'm waiting to be a stage releases with up-to-date software. I know that livecd releases are not so important as you can use "any" kind of livecd to install Gentoo.

Also, i have no knowledge about the profiles update background, so i'm not talking about these either...

To conclude, i agree with you about livecd updates...

To get back with releases, I'm waiting for releases a full well tested version of stage releases, as i don't agree with those saying that weekly stage build are good enough to have "updated" stage.

Profiles are just symlinks for a running installation, you can pick up
one, or make your by hand.

Livecd releases are updated livecds with updated tools.

Personally I don't think gentoo developers should invest lot of manpower
in releasing updated livecds, while they could improve the handbook in
the chapter explaining hot to build gentoo from other livecds
(systemrescucd, sabayon, knoppix, ubuntu ecc.). But this is my personal
point of view.

---
TopperH
http://topperh.blogspot.com