Joseph wrote:
> On 04/07/09 17:22, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>
>> which pretty much makes hal a bad idea. 'use hal so you don't have to
>> edit files' and then have to edit hal's convoluted xml files instead
>> of the simple, easy to read xorg.conf ...
>
> I'll second it, why complicate simple design; going from text file
> configuration to xml :-(

I agree, right now it is a step backward. A nasty one.
But if there were some sort of repository that you could just download a
config, or it automatically fetches, then that would be an improvement.

If the repository was setup for example like the Gentoo-Portage.com site
interface, it might make things real easy.

Just think, you search for a device like a Kensington Mouse or keyboard.
A list is presented of what features a config which has been created
will do for that device, you pick and download it into the proper
directory, done!

Of course also set things up so people could upload a config they have
made or tweaked with some details of what it does.