> Dale:
>
>>Did my etc-update and went to log into KDE.  No keyboard.  No
>>mouse.  No nothing.  I knew the new xorg-server update was going to make
>>me change a few things but I thought I would be ABLE to change the
>>thing.
>
> *g*
>
> Today 'emerge --sync' followed by 'emerge -uDN world' changed my xorg to
> 1.5. After 'startx' i had my usual icewm screen but no working mouse or
> keyboard.
>
>>I had to unplug the computer then add softlevel=boot to get to
>>where I could even fix the stupid thing.
>
> I preferred ssh from another computer. ;)
>
>>While I was trying to recover and reading, it appears I have to update
>>my kernel for this thing to work.
>
> That depends. Look in 'sudo make menuconfig' at Device Drivers->Input
> device support for Event interface. If available and unchecked, select
> it and recompile your kernel.
>
> I had done so because it was mentioned in the 'Xorg 1.5 Upgrade Guide',
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.5-upgrade-guide.xml
>
> Wasn't enough, though.
>
> ----- Xorg.0.log -----
> (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
> ---------------
>
> But 'modprobe evdev' succeeded. *g*
>
> After pulling out some hairs and examining 'emerge -pv xorg-server'
> closer i changed
>
> ----- /etc/make.conf -----
> INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
> ----------------

> ----- /etc/make.conf -----
> INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"
> ---------------
>
> and recompiled xorg-server. Now i had working mouse and keyboard under X.
>
> Then i noticed that my german keyboard layout was gone. The Upgrade
> Guide was not very clear in this point. At least for me.

I have the same problem for my French keyboard layout, so here is what I do:
Change my section InputDevice in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "fr"
EndSection

To this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Option      "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option      "CoreKeyboard"
    Option      "XkbLayout"     "fr"
    Option      "XkbModel"      "evdev"
    Option      "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Driver      "evdev"
EndSection

After that I have to find the fdi file for my keyboard and change it according
my xorg.conf:
Here is what I have in the fdi file:

$ nano /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keymap">
      <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-keymap</append>
    </match>

    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keys">
      <merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">xorg</merge>

      <!-- If we're using Linux, we use evdev by default (falling back to
           keyboard otherwise). -->
      <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">keyboard</merge>
      <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name"
             string="Linux">
        <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">evdev</merge>
      </match>

      <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">fr</merge>
      <merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string" />
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

After that killing X, then restarting hald daemon and when I restart X
I have my French Layout back.

Hope it's help

* Site  web: http://www.drakonix.fr *