On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Vladimir Rusinov
<vladi...@greenmice.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I switched from madwifi-ng to ath5k when I switched from kernel 2.6.28
>> to 2.6.29 and my wifi speed is unusably slow when the CPU speed is
>> scaled down. I am talking about trying to ssh into my laptop taking
>> literally MINUTES to respond when it is running at 800MHz but being
>> instant when it is running at 2000MHz. If I am emerging or doing
>> anything to run the CPU, the wifi speed is fine. When I am
>> interactively using the laptop it's not as much of an issue because
>> the laptop itself is perfectly normal in its responsiveness, but the
>> wifi practically dies when the CPU slows down. I tried with cpudyn and
>> without (using kernel ondemand governor).
>>
>> Is anyone else using ath5k on a laptop and having this problem? I
>> don't know if it is the wifi driver, the kernel, or something else. I
>> did about 3 months worth of updates all at once, so that makes it a
>> nice big mess for isolating the cause. :)
>
> Hi.
>
> I'm using ath5k and kernel conservative governor and it everything work ok
> for me. Wireless is not very fast, but it seems it is hardware problem.
>
> gentoo-sources-2.6.28-r1

Okay, thanks for the info. My chipset is AR5414 and
gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r1. When I'm downloading and change governor to
performance I can see immediate wifi speed increase from 2KiB/s to
more than 1000KiB/s. But, even then, performance is bad and unreliable
compared to mafwifi-ng. I guess I should switch back. Maybe I'll ask
ath5k-users list first (but it seems dead).