Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> walt wrote:
>> [...]
>> HTF the average user is supposed to figure all this out for himself
>> is beyond me. I'm thankful for the expert help I got.
>
> Gentoo is not for the average user.  We had discussions in the past
> where GUIs were discussed to make these things automagic, but most
> Gentoo users here prefer that Gentoo should not offer such GUIs so
> that the user can learn and not become clueless.
>
> So congratulations.  You've learned.  It's funny though how the users
> that were against introducing GUIs to Gentoo now complain about HAL :P

My complaint was about having a system with basically no keyboard.  I
had to unplug mine without a proper shutdown.  That is my complaint.  It
should at least have a fall back or something.  Heck, running xorgconfig
again would have been better than this mess.  I wonder if that would
work?  I do recall at one time that the GUI would not start if no mouse
was found.  Wonder what happened there?

No, I don't have another machine to ssh in.  I wish I did.  It's have a
working keyboard or hit the reset button/pull the plug.  Nether is a
good option.  I bought a nice UPS to prevent this sort of mess.

Dale

:-)  :-)