Again, for the record in case it's of use to others.
Previously & cautiously, I updated Xorg-server, but used the old modules.
Having got that to work, I've gone the Evdev route & it seems to work !

I recompiled kernel 2.6.29 to use 'event interface' (as instructed).
Then in  /etc/make.conf , I commented

  #INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"

and replaced it with

  INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"

Then I recompiled Xorg-server without 'USE="-hal"'
& in  /etc/X11/xorg.conf  commented the line

  #Option       "AutoAddDevices" "false"

I rebooted & everything is working !

I have a Logitech mouse which I bought several years ago
& use a US keyboard layout, which probably simplified the task.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca