gibbo...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to follow this philosophy which appears more difficult than I
> primary though.
> 1) I don't want hal, one more daemon running only to... spot /dev/input/*,
> from what I understand xf86-input-* does this pretty well. I won't
> unplug my mouse and so want to keep my xorg simple conf.
> 2) Anyway, I tried to make use of evdev instead of the *deprecated*
> mouse and kbd drivers but...
> 3) evdev without hal replaced well my mouse driver (for the moment I
> just replaced /dev/input/mice by /dev/input/event2 in the mouse section)
> 4) for the keyboard it's far less simple : if I switch to evdev, I
> cannot define the Xkb{Variant,Model,..} in xorg.conf so :
> stuck with the 'kbd' driver.
>
> I believed gentoo users would be more sceptic when it comes to make a
> new daemon mandatory ;)
> For the new GNU/linux-Xorg installations, of course hal is a nice thing !
>
> (Any advice to use evdev, define a keyboard layout,model,variant without
> having to install hal and its <con<fi<gu>r>ation>files and daemon ?)
>
> Raph

There is another thread here that someone posted to that had the same
issue.  He worked out a way to use a keyboard layout from what I
understand.  You may want to see if you can find that and follow his
lead.  It would be nice if you two had the same keyboard and could share
config files.  I can't recall for sure but I think he has xorg with the
hal part turned on.

Dale

:-)  :-)