If using gnome look for gnome-power-manager (it sucks so i usually kill
it), otherwise "laptopmode" may be installed (configurable shutdown
levels I think).  Can also be a bios setting on some laptops - on my old
dell it was independent to the OS.  I actually run a perl daemon to do
it - seems more reliable :)

BillK