Hi,
   This started as part of Michael's thread about Myth crashing.
mythfrontend is segfaulting for me also, but my problem has spread to
pretty much any application that tries to display video - mplayer,
xine and Myth all crash with similar errors. Only xine doesn't crash X
completely and leaves behind anything in terms of clues.

   I've also tried upgrading xorg-x11 to version 7.4. No changes.

m...@dragonfly ~/Desktop $ xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
 Major opcode of failed request:  140 (XVideo)
 Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
 Serial number of failed request:  1814
m...@dragonfly ~/Desktop $

  Note that this isn't even trying to play the file, it's just trying
to start the user interface.

  I see segfault and error/warning messages in dmesg:

mtrr: no MTRR for f0000000,8000000 found
[drm:i915_getparam] *ERROR* Unknown parameter 5
[drm:i915_getparam] *ERROR* Unknown parameter 5
X[22596]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000 sp bf91df1c error 4 in Xorg[8048000+179000]
[drm:i915_getparam] *ERROR* Unknown parameter 5
[drm:i915_getparam] *ERROR* Unknown parameter 5
X[22764]: segfault at 20000d8 ip b7f266c4 sp bfd56a80 error 4 in
libdrm_intel.so.1.0.0[b7f25000+7000]
[drm:i915_getparam] *ERROR* Unknown parameter 5
[drm:i915_getparam] *ERROR* Unknown parameter 5

   The MTRR warnings have been around forever on this machine. I think
the drm:i915 warning is benign in that it's supposedly saying the
kernel doesn't have gem support, but I could be very wrong about that.

   The kernel is recent but not the most up to date.

   Does *anyone* have an idea what I should do to debug this further?
I've never managed to get good backtrace info under Gentoo so that's
probably a struggle I'd rather not deal with if possible, especially
for something as complicated as X. The segfault looks like something
uninitialized to me but what do I know... (Not much!)

   I can send all sorts of machine/Gentoo info if requested.

   Anyway, all thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark