On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Denis <denis....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am using a package called Rasmol, which is used for visualization of
> molecular structures.  This software uses a certain table for atomic
> sizes, and I need to change some values in that table - it is stored
> in a header file within Rasmol source code.  There is an ebuild for
> Rasmol, and it works fine - but what I'm wondering is how I can tell
> portage to STOP once it unpacks Rasmol in the temporary work directory
> - so I can tweak some things in the source code - and then resume the
> build, using what's already in the work directory.  Looking at a
> manpage for emerge, I didn't immediately get any creative ideas, but
> might someone offer some advice for how to accomplish this?

Hi Denis,

Use the "ebuild" command to execute the steps of emerging
separately... read the manpage for the available options, but for
example you can do something like:

ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild unpack
ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild prepare
ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild configure
ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild compile
ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild preinst
ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild install
ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild postinst

and in-between those steps you can change to your portage tmpdir and
edit the unpacked source files and do whatever you need to do to them.