On Wednesday 29 April 2009 11:25:41 KH wrote:
> fe...@crowfix.com schrieb:
> > On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 05:31:06PM +0200, Xavier Parizet wrote:
> >> As his autoresponder respond to all mail received to his mail address, i
> >> sent at 12h15 a mail "faking" hist email address to
> >> gentoo-user+unsubscr...@lists.gentoo.org and it did the trick...
> >> Now i think he is spammed with "you're not subscribed to this list"
> >> mlmmj mails...
> >
> > Nice!  I toast you with a virtual beer.
>
> Wouldn't that mean, that the server hosting the mailing list still is on
> heavy duty? That still would evect the functionality of the server and
> in the end of our list, wouldn't it?

Not at all. Currently, the list receives one mail and sends one "you are not
subscribed" mail back, which may or may not elicit an autoresponse.

As it was, the list receives one mail, sends one copy to everyone on the list
(including the user with the autorespond), which may or may not elicit an
autoresponse.

Unsubscribing the user will have reduced the traffic he is causing by a
significant margin.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com