On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:18:33 +0600, Mike Kazantsev wrote:

> The medium is regular sata2 hard drives with ext3 filesystem on a
> dedicated backup machine with quite rusty debian (etch) linux.
> Most backed-up systems (that I care about) are actually freebsd 6, the
> rest are linux. Most stored backups are 20-60 GB.
>
> Main bottleneck here is the network - quite laggy 100 Mbps link,
> because this backup server is quite far and isolated from the rest.
> Also it's completely inaccessible from backed-up machines, aside from
> reverse tunnels, which I rarely use as a dirty hacks.
> And this link has tendency to go down every once in a while,
> interrupting ongoing transfers.

BackupPC should cope with this. It uses rsync over SSH, so only needs to
transfer new/changed files, and will restart where it left off if the
connection fails (this happens to me sometimes when I switch off my
laptop while it is backing up and the backup just restarts the next
morning).

It is also space-efficient when backing up multiple machines, it uses
hard links to store only one copy of each file, no matter how many
machines have the same file. The lack of network access from the
clients to the server would mean you couldn't access the web interface
from the client you wished to restore to, but you could do that on the
backup server if necessary.

--
Neil Bothwick

The mechanic said I had blown a seal. I said, `Just fix the damn thing and
leave my private life out of it, OK?'