Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:44:57 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
> > How do I tell tar when I am making the tarball to look at /mnt/gentoo/
> > as it start point, root directory if you will?  I read the man page but
> > suspect I am missing it somewhere.  There has to be a way since it is
> > done that way for the stage 3 tarball.
>
> The same way you change directory when you extract, with -C.

Does gnu tar really did copy star behavior and now allows to use -C in extract
mode?

Well, star still combines the pattern matcher with -C and thus allows to
combine -C with pat= and thus to extract and sort controlled by patterns.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)