Alan McKinnon wrote:

experiment to see if it's the new hashes that are doing it. Find an account that can sudo to root on the affected machines and examine the shadow file. See what kind of hashes the affected accounts are using. md5 is 34 characters long and sha512 is 98 in this format:

$x$<salt>$<hash>
x is 1 for md5 and 6 for sha512. <salt> is 8 characters for both

Thanks for spending time with this. After looking at the shadow file, I have accounts with both md5 and sha512. In particular affected accounts that have md5 and sha512.

I looked closely at the .bashrc (used echo "made to here" marks to follow the login sequence) of the bad accounts and they were all sourcing a script from a third-party package that went bad after the OS update. Luckily this was not in all accounts and specially not in the root account. Otherwise I would have been locked outside the machine. After getting rid of that line in the users .bashrc all returned to normal.

One more thing to do was to uncomment the line

PrintMotd no
PrintLastLog no

in /etc/sshd_config to avoid the double motd/last log messages upon login.I guess after the portage update, pam is now printing that.

Here's mine which works:

auth    include         system-auth
account include         system-auth
password        include         system-auth
session include         system-auth

And you did confirm that sudo checks for wheel group membership, and that you are still in this group?

This is exactly like mine.

Thanks for all the help.

--
Valmor