Mick wrote:
An adaptor can have more than one public IP address (multi-homing) and you can use something like: ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up to set them up (increment eth0:1, eth0:2, etc accordingly). However, if your SSL vhost is listening on a random port you don't need binding of many addresses to one NIC. You can use the same ip address.
This is the essential bit I was missing, I think. I knew it was possible to set up "multi-homing" (as I'd seen it on other systems) but I'd forgotten what it was called... and that made searching for documentation, erm, hard... though even knowing the term hasn't given me a slam-dunk search result through google. I presume I need to fiddle with /etc/conf.d/net - somehow - in order to convince /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to do what I need.

Other than vhost I guest you can run a second instance by reading section 5 here (but I'm not sure you need to do that anyway):

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/php/php4-php5-configuration.xml
That's all helpful material - suggesting, at least, that there's no neat gentoo-specific one-liner to achieve the two instances I need... plus it highlights specific problems I might have with interactions between PHP in my two instances. Hmmm... I hadn't anticipated that... frustrating.

I guess the other route I could consider would be virtualisation - establishing a completely separate installation... at least that way I could be sure that no aspect of my 'alive' system could impact the configuation of my development system... allowing me maximum confidence that I know what's needed when I come to deploy.

Somewhat frustratingly, this seems to be morphing into a considerably more involved problem than I'd envisaged. ;)